Wednesday, October 05, 2016

An Explanation

Hey guys,

First of all, I'm sorry for going MIA. You guys have been a great readerbase and I know it sucks to be left high and dry.

I've really wrestled with whether to write this post or to just let the blog die rather than open this window into my personal life. The thing is, this blog brought me a lot of joy, and right now I'm trying to reconnect to the things in my life that make me feel happy. However, to do that, I feel like I need to offer you an explanation.

So here goes:

Before my boyfriend and I left for Portugal, we got some really exciting news: I found out that I was pregnant. It wasn't exactly planned, but once we recovered from the surprise we were really excited about it, and the trip seemed like an excellent way to celebrate.

The morning sickness and exhaustion got more intense during the trip and while they didn't detract from my enjoyment, I was definitely passing out by like 9 PM every night. This was also part of the reason why some of the posts were late, although I'll admit that just enjoying the trip factored in to that, too.

That trip was honestly just so amazing. The two of us were just wrapped up in our little bliss bubble and I can't even describe how happy we were.

The trip back was a bit rough. Over 20 hours of travel time is unpleasant in any circumstances, and that was compounded by being tired and nauseated.

When we got back, things were so crazy with cleaning up the house and getting ready to go back to work. I guess that I was stressed, tired, and generally pretty distracted. I went grocery shopping a few days after we got back, and on my way home, I got in a car accident. Nothing major, very little damage and no one was seriously injured, but I started having cramping and bleeding later that day. I went to the hospital and they confirmed that I was miscarrying.

I actually can't explain how devastated I have been by losing the baby. I barely got out of bed for a week afterwards, and after that, really only left my house to go to work. I have been miserable to be around and known it and still been unable to do anything about it. My friends and family have all tried to help, and I've basically been shutting them out. It's only in the last two weeks that I've started to feel even remotely like myself again.

I know that many women go through this, that it happens more often than I think, and that there's no way of even knowing if the car accident is what caused it or if it was just not meant to be, but I have a lot of guilt about it. There is a lot of stuff that I'm carrying and that I have to work through to get past this. I'm working really hard to focus on the positive right now. Part of that is, as I mentioned, reconnecting to the things that make me happy.

Which brings me to the blog. Writing has always been an escape, and I'm hopeful that it can be one again. Having said that, writing is for me a very introspective process, and introspection right now is difficult and painful. I really want to come back, but I just can't make a promise about when that will be. Among other things, I've lost the thread of the story in my mind and need to get the feel of it again.

I guess I will just post a return date as soon as I know when that is. I'm really sorry that I can't be more definite. All I can promise right now is that I will try. I hope you guys understand.

Lastly, thank you all for your support over the last month. I literally haven't even checked the blog once until last night. When I saw the amount of comments, I almost just deleted them without reading them, because I couldn't handle any negativity. When I finally steeled myself to face it, I couldn't believe the messages of support and concern. I really appreciate it. It made this incredibly hard post a little bit easier to write.

Anyways, that's all I've got for right now. I hope to write to you all soon. Take care.

18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry! Yes, a lot of people have been what you have, but none of that matters when you are going through it. While I love your blog and story, I completely understand taking time away. You need to do what's right for you, and I hope that you can let go of the guilt you have-it will definitely help in your healing process. I wish you well and I will check back often to see if you are picking back up with this story or starting a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie,
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I suffered 2 miscarriages and a still birth, so I know what you are going through. Please take time for yourself, this isn't something you just "get over" and no one knows how long it should take. If you are interested, I have a great group of friends that all suffered miscarriages,infertility or the death of a child that I can get you connected with through facebook. I found these ladies over 12 years ago and haven't ever met any of them in person, but they are like my sisters. They really understood my pain when my family was at a loss. If you are interested, please email me at brl505@yahoo.com
    Much love - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry to hear this. You take as much as time as you need and when you are ready, we will be ready waiting for the rest of the story. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. Take as much time as you need to take care of yourself and we will be here when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you love and heartfelt condolences for your loss. I haven't been through it, so I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. You don't owe anyone an explanation, but thank you for letting us know that you are alright (which is subjective right now). Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you find healing from such a tragedy and that you know that we will be here waiting for you. Take all the time you need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, how devastating. I am so sorry for all you've gone through and I hope that you really take time to heal. Many women do go through miscarriages, but that doesn't make it any easier on YOU. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very sorry. I hope you find some healing and peace, and please take care of yourself and don't worry about us! I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so sorry! Nothing I (or anybody) can say will make what you're going through any better, so I am just going to send you lots of love & healing.
    I hope to see you continue the blog at some point in the future, as it's selfishly one of my most favorites. Until then, take care of yourself & I hope you get back to your version of 'Happy!' XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you, friend. I'm sending you warm hugs. I cannot relate to that loss, but as a mom my heart aches for you and your bf. Take the time you need to heal. If you can, post every once and a while to let us know how you are. mum (aka Sherri)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so, so sorry. I'm actually six weeks post MC myself and while it's gotten easier with time, I still have my "struggle days" and days where I just want to curl up into a ball and stay in bed.

    I wish we weren't a part of this club. I'm so sorry for your loss. Grieve in whatever way you need to. And one thing for me that helps is when my friend told me "No matter what else happened, your baby was real and lived inside you, and you were his or her mama, and that love will last forever."

    I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for your loss! Sending lots of love. Thanks for updating us that you are ok...or that you will be ok. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super sorry for your loss!!! Thank you for sharing and letting us know that you are okay. Sending you prayers and lots of love during this difficult time

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine your pain. I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

    I'll keep checking for your return; until then, sending lots of love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine what you have been though and I don't even want to try to imagine it, just reading your post made me hurt. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Take all the time you need, wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just comin' back to say I hope you're doing okay! <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy new year! I hope you come back to writing in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So I started re-reading blogs from my list since the majority of them have ended. I came across this blog again and I totally forgot how good and juicy it was getting! I know it's been a couple of years, but any chance you would want to start it up again? It was JUST getting good and I would to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete